“Find the place inside yourself where nothing is impossible.”
Have you ever asked yourself the reason why no matter how hard you try to make things right, nothing seems to improve around you? If your answer is yes, you are not alone. You need to remember that you can’t control your external circumstances, but you can control your behavior and perspective towards it. We often spend most of our time creating a to-do list instead of a to-Be list. Our focus is constantly on the “doing” that we forget about “being”. We think that we have time, but time is limited and we cannot waste it spending our energy on something that we can’t control. Instead we can invest it in working towards self-development, unlearning old habits and implementing new ones, healing past traumas, anything that you feel is blocking you from reaching your full potential. Remember if you want to pour clean water in your glass you will need first to throw away the mold water that has been sitting there for years, it’s an INSIDE JOB. Not everybody is ready to take this step, it will depend on how much you want it. If it was as simple as it sounds, everybody would do it, but it is not. If you want something that you never had, you will need to do something that you never did. With that being said, I would like to share with you some ways to start your own journey of self-discovery.
1. CREATE a space where you can be alone, perhaps take a mini retreat where you can spend time with yourself with no distractions (including social media). Unfortunately we live in a world that we are constantly worrying what the rest think of us and this prevent us from getting the answers to the real questions in life. Therefore, use this time alone to understand more about how you feel when you are alone. See it as a self-test to see how much you enjoy spending time with yourself, what thoughts are going through your mind, positive or negative. The results will help you see how happy you are with yourself when nobody is around. It will also help you identify the areas in your life that you are struggling with, but at the deepest level. Your body won’t lie to you, that’s why it’s so important to connect your body, mind and soul because all the answers are within you. You can ask many people for advice and hear what you want to hear, but the true honest answer will come from you and not from anybody else.(Connecting your mind, body and soul takes practice through meditation, but I will talk about it in another article)
2. OPEN your heart and soul to new possibilities, new habits, new people. One of my favorites quotes by Ghandi is “You find yourself when you lose yourself in the service of others”. This quote resonates with me because this is exactly how I found myself and understood what I was truly passionate about. Even though I was hurt in the past, I did not let this stop me from opening myself to new ideas, new challenges, but specially to new people. Everyone that crosses your path teaches you something and this is essential for your growth. We often prefer to stay in our comfort zone because it feels safe, and we are ok with that because that is how our brain protect us. But it protect us too much that it does not allow for growth. We think that if we live a “simple life” we won’t have problems, but the reality is that we will always have challenges and we need to be ready to accept them from a place of love and compassion. Do not betray yourself by living a life that you were not meant to live. Like Martin Luther king once said “If you don’t have nothing to die for, you don’t have nothing meaningful to live for”. Because being exposed to new things is what is going to help you identify what is that makes you feel alive everyday.
3. UNLOCK the full potential of your brain. We are often told at some point in our lives that we are meant to be like everybody else around our community, that we should “fit”in the current education system or jobs that exist, because that’s how it has been done in our past generations. But what if we don’t “fit”like everybody else. Is that mean that we are not normal? The problem with our current education system is that they try to put stuff in us, instead of taking stuff out of us. Even the latin root cause of the word education means to “lead out” or “draw out”, but this is not the way understand it. We are all born with a unique gift that we are naturally been given, which normal schools don’t help us extrapolate it within us. This is why is so important to really take the time to figure this out because it will help you create a meaningful, purposeful and fulfilling live for yourselves, and most importantly you will have the opportunity to learn how to use your gift to make an impact and a difference in the lives of others.
4. REFLECT on your current beliefs and behaviors Unfortunately, since we are babies we inherit certain beliefs and behaviors from our parents, teachers, friends, media and community. This is referred as social conditioning. The issue with social conditioning is what expose us to take our lives in an overall negative behavior. For instance, the society that we live in encourages blind consumerism and materialism, so it influences people to push to work long hours, obey authority, conform to all norms, seek job security above all and ask very little for ourselves, because in the end it will all pay off, but it rarely does. Instead we end up living a “successful” life without true fulfillment, meaning and purpose. On top of all that we still need to add the outdated beliefs and behaviors that we inherited from our parents, which also disrupt the relationship we have with ourselves and others. Now you can understand why is so difficult to answer the real questions in life, there is so much noise out there are preventing you from reaching your full potential.
5. ACT on solving what needs to improve within you, go deep to the root cause of what is causing the bad outcome you are experiencing today. A better relationship with your partner or your boss, a new job opportunity, to feel less anxious about your future, be more skinny? Whatever it is, ask yourself what is bothering you, what is it that is irritating you everyday? There is always something that we wish it could be better, but we do not do anything about it, instead we wait or hope for things to change. The reality is that you can manifest anything that you want, but first you need to dig deeper within you, identify the root cause of your problems and remove that energy out of you. Remember if you don’t have the right foundation no matter how hard you try you won’t be able to build the empire you want.
6. GIVE yourself the time to process all of this.,I know it can be overwhelming because of what you may be going through and everything that is happening in the world. But I want you to really take a step back, press pause for a moment and feel the present moment because that’s all you have right now. Feel your breath, feel your hands and your heart beating, you are a miracle, and I promise you that becoming aware that there is higher level of consciousness beyond your understanding will help you see life from a different lens. If you really want to see a change in the world, that change will have to start with you. The more closely you follow the higher power leading, the more fully you can develop your gifts, your trust will be the channel through which peace will flow into you. You were designed in a very unique way and no one else is like you, so when you open your mind and heart to truly trust and thank the Universe or higher life, whatever you want to call it, you will witness the greatest work created within you. This paradigm shift will simply revolutionize your life.
7. EMBRACE your truth because "It is better to do your own dharma even imperfectly, than someone else’s dharma perfectly.” What this quote is trying to tell you is that it’s better to pursue your own nature, even if it seems wrong, than to perform something based on greed, lust, fear, anger, even if it seems the right thing to do. What I discovered as part of my journey is that I was not living in my true element, many of us are tigers learning how to live as cats, many of us monkeys being taught how to swim. We don’t get to live in our true element, but the reason why we don’t know it is because we have been blind from social conditioning. As you continue your journey of self-discovery, you will also notice how different it feels live in the environment you were born to live in, and sometimes it may not be the country you were born. Once again, the only way to really discover your true own nature is by becoming a student of life!
Finally, do not let your family's experience block you from believing in yourself. Perhaps nobody in your family has never been a business owner and so you tell yourself that you can't either, that it does not run in the family to be an “entrepreneur” and it's too risky to attempt to do its but you are. only sabotaging yourself. This is just an example of being trapped by “limited beliefs”. You are using your powerful mind against you, if you believe you can’t be an entrepreneur then your mind will find a way to reassure you what you believe. But in order to change your perspective in life you need to begin by implementing powerful daily habits. These habits will help you shape your mind in a way that you never knew you could
You are the creator of your own life and as such more powerful that you can imagine. Therefore the external circumstances should not define who you are, real joy only happens within you.